Thursday, May 16, 2013

Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies


Reunions. This is the year for High School and Family reunions. Lots and lots of memories.

Most of us have unhappy memories of our school cafeteria food. However, there is one item that was always a hit in our school system: Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies. Nirvana on, of all places, a school lunch tray! On days when these cookies were on the menu, we all made sure we arranged to buy our lunch. Usually they appeared on alternate Thursdays along with Turkey and Gravy, the second-best item on their entire menu.

While they were well known within our small school system, no one else seemed to know what they were. I met kids from all over the country, and none of them had ever heard of these delightful treasures. We were so lucky.

Anyway, a post on my high school Facebook group reminded me of this favorite dessert, so I went surfing for a recipe. There are several incarnations to be found, and with a little experimentation, I have arrived at a fairly good approximation. (After a few decades, the secret was bound to get out.)

I posted a comment on Facebook that I had made some, mostly for the benefit of old classmates. However, a relative commented that she would like some. Since she was going to be at a family reunion, I decided to bring some with me to the gathering.

I figured that a few would be eaten, and I would end up taking more than I could eat home with me.

Wrong!

All that was left were a few crumbs. People raved about them. They requested that I post the recipe to Facebook. So I did. From my phone. It’s that easy.

Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
5 cups corn flakes (I don’t usually recommend brands, but the Kellogg’s® flakes work the best.)

Bring sugar, honey and corn syrup to boil for a minute or two. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter. Pour over corn flakes in a large bowl and mix to coat. Press into 9x13 pan. Let cool. Cut into squares. A pizza cutter works well.

You’d think it would be sticky, but it’s not. So don’t worry about greasing the pan. Really.

Cheap, easy, super yummy.

Enjoy. Impress your friends, relatives, and, most importantly, PTA parents (which is no small victory).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and polite. Disagreement is fine, but keep in mind the sensibilities of other readers when posting.