Friday, July 15, 2011

Paycheck Blues

Yesterday I was looking at one of the government “jobs outlook” sites. I’m currently studying to be a crime analyst, and the outlook for the job is very good. (Yay!) Then I pulled up the salary statistics for the field, which had both national and local ranges. I then compared the city I live in to others in the state and around the nation.

Not only is pay in my city the lowest in the state, but it was also the lowest, by more than 20%, of all the other metropolitan areas around the country.

Average pay rates in my city are about 79% of the country’s average.

The cost of living here is about 96% of the country’s average.

That’s an appalling difference. Somebody’s making out like a bandit, and it isn’t me!

No wonder I feel like I’m not getting anywhere! Not only am I slogging on the treadmill, but it also has extra weights on it.

I’ve read a lot of articles that talk about the national average hourly pay, which is well above my current rate, and wonder what I’m doing wrong. I feel marginally better knowing that everyone else in the area is also being horribly underpaid.

Then I wonder why we put up with it.

When I finish my degree, I’m getting out of here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and polite. Disagreement is fine, but keep in mind the sensibilities of other readers when posting.